Then vs. Now: Photography
Probably one of the most famous and recognizable buildings on campus, Tabaret is historically one of the buildings that aided in the growth of the university. It is perpendicular to where the original university building used to stand before the fire in 1903. It is rumoured that the land on the West corner of Tabaret, where it overlaps with where the original building burnt down, is haunted.
Hagen Hall used to be the University of Ottawa’s “Ecole Normale” which was similar to a teacher’s college and prepared students to become teachers.
Welcome to the oldest standing building on campus! It used to be known as the Juniorat du Sacre-Coeur but today, it is the visual arts department building fully equipped with a dark room, art studio and Gallery 115.
Below is the original entrance of Simard, which in present day is under construction and opposes the entrance that is most commonly used today.
Before Minto Sportsplex was built, there was the “Ovale de l’Universite d’Ottawa” that housed a big football stadium.
Before the fire of 1903 everyone studied, ate and slept all in one main building, next to where Tabaret is now. Now, there are multiple different on and off-site residence building where most students share one bedroom or have their own.
In the early 1900s, the University of Ottawa was one of the first to have a physics lab. They were truly ahead of their time. Now, the university, much like most others, has a plethora of different types of labs with the most recent additions in the new STEM building. On the left is a photo of the Brunsfield Center in the STEM building which also hosts other lab spaces such as MakerSpace.
In the original building at the university that burned down in 1903, students ate in a big dining hall all together. This is ultimately fairly similar to today’s situation with the new dining hall in the UCU.
It wasn’t until 2012 that the social science faculty had their own building. Attached to Vanier, it has a huge focus on sustainability with a large living wall that acts as the building’s air filtration system.
In 1959, the city granted permission to extend the university campus. On the left is the amount of land that was granted to the university and on the right is today’s campus.